Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The beast is back

Its been awhile. I am newly married and that is the extent of my excuse, my Catholic friends will understand my lack of interest in the computer screen. Instead of going on about what has been happening these past few months and throwing in a joke to keep you amused I will skip the recap and go into a new topic.

 FARMS. I want one , no, crave one. I grew up with a bit of land but no chickens to peck at my feet, no horse to rub my neck and beg for a ride. Therefore I had to create this fantasy life in my head, right down to the lack of manure and 4 am milking. Recently I have decided to save our little house some money by making some of the things we normally buy. I was given a copy of Make the bread buy the Butter for Christmas (www.thetipsybaker.com) Flipping through the pages I was reminding of my dreams of having land that my kids could roam around on, chickens to peck at them and ducks to chase me down the lane screaming into the house like they did to my Grandmother when they raises ducks.  Is this a dream that I can make a reality? No, not right now anyway. At the moment we are in a 5th floor walk up where I can barely keep basil alive. Yet the dream still calls to me, finger nail beds covered in dirt as I dig around for potatoes and carrots. Maybe one day we will be able to have a bit if land, some of God's amazing creatures rooming around but for now I will stick to cultivating my words to you and less on our future sprouts. 

1 comment:

  1. i have a lot of friends in Sicklerville who have their own farms ... chickens and horses -- one is even saving for a "mini-moo" so they can have their own milk! cheaper living down that way ... lots of land. hold on to your dreams! ps - is Ryan sharing the dream??

    ReplyDelete